Monday, June 27, 2005

Vacation part 1 - Marriage

Hi ppl,

I'm back after a loooooong *vacation*. Now, I'm expecting to get some relaxation at work!

God, the trip was hectic! Right from the time I got down at B'lore station till I came back to Sec'bad, it was one hell of a busy schedule....

Anyway, marriage went off very well. I was in-charge of lots of things and so had to run around a lot. Since, my cousin was learning dance and the mother-in-law is the dance teacher, there were lots of *students*. Three of them were really *interesting*.

The strangest thing was that relatives were openly asking abt marriage and all. The typical scene would be like this:

Mom/Dad: Hello! Meet my son. Akshay, this is so and so.
So and so: Hmm. You were this small when I last saw you! {*this* varied from 30 cm to 100 cm... Never more than that}
Me: {One silly smile.} Hello
So and so: So, what do you do? OR Where are you studying?
Me: I working with Cognizant at Hyd.
So and so: Oh! You work huh? {What did he/she expect? Am I the Mysore King, to sit at home after studies?}
Me: Ya, its almost two years now.
{Then, some stuff abt wrk and food. Then, I am dismissed.}
So and so: Hmm, So, what is your son's age? Any plans to get get him married? I know this grl....

Hey, this was really surprising. I mean, I hardly remember this relative of mine. He/she's telling me abt some relative of his, who is probably at a marriagable age....

Anyways, there were two pestering proposals. One was hell bent on getting his daughter married to me! Fortunately this happened on the week before I went to B'lore. Mom had gone to B'lore to buy some sarees and meet her relatives. One of them literally cornered my Mom abt the marriage! Finally, Mom got irritated and told him, that I was just 24 and there was at least 2 more yrs. Then, she also pointed out that the grl was 10 days elder to me and that she'd never agree for that. Only then, this person went away.

Another one happened on the 23rd. We had just finished the Anniversary dinner {23rd was my parents 25th wedding anniversary}. One of the friends pulled my mom aside and whipered, "Are you getting him married? I know this relative of mine...." My mom cut in and told the same standard dialogue: me 24 yrs, 2 more yrs break etc....

At the cousin's marriage, I was given a lot of organizing wrk. So, I had to run arnd and move up and down the stage. Aunt was telling me that lot of ppl had noticed me and were asking abt me! She's warned me that when the photos and video are out, there may be more proposals!

It was really strange! Ppl expect you to be a total Brahmachari while studying. All of a sudden, when you turn 24-25, they expect you to become a family man! I mean, where do they expect the maturity to seep into a kid's mind, coz they believe you are a kid unitl 24!

But, who's complaining! I mean, I never ever though anybody on earth would want to risk sending their daughter with me... and here they were literally pestering abt getting them married to me!

Oh yeah, there was one more girl. The girl's dad took on a very different approach... The dad is a Oncologist in Mysore and his daughter has got into Deloitte. He asked me to talk to her abt Hyd. All the time I spoke to her, she was tossing her hair and giving me prolonged stares.... I felt that she was flirting with me.. I really don't know coz, this has never happend before....

Well, this was the first part of the trip.. The Marriage. Second part, I'll write after some time...

1 comment:

Karthik said...

"She's warned me that when the photos and video are out, there may be more proposals!"

- know? how blind moms love can be????
- In tamil theres a saying. "Kakkaikkum than kunju Pon Kunju"