Monday, May 23, 2005

Lost childhood joy in shopping

Yesterday, I had gone to buy some shoes for myself. I had to buy new ones, since the old ones, obviously had worn out. The old ones had been the last pair of shoes that I’d bought before joining my first job.

This started me to get into a retrospective mode. The last pair of shoes had bought me so much of joy! Somehow, when parents get you some stuff, it feels so nice. It feels like they really care for you and they want to get the very best for you. The formal shoes had cost more than a thousand rupees and I was always in awe of my Dad for having got me such expensive shoes.

This time, I bought a pair of formal and sports shoes. Each pair cost me more than a thousand rupees. Still, there was no thrill in the shopping. I just did not feel like I had got something new. I just felt that I was need of something. The old ones had worn out and needed to be replaced. Somehow, the harsh rationality had replaced the child like enthusiasm that I used to have for anything new.

When I was a kid, even opening a new toothpaste from the packing and using it first was a great achievement. Now, even if I get a thousand rupees shirt and wear it for the first time, there is no ebullience in it!

Maybe the thrill was all because of the fact that I did not know the value of money. More importantly, anything new meant the parents were concerned for you and were taking care of you. Buying something for yourself means, you have grown up and can take care of yourself. Somehow in this transition, the sheer joy of newness is lost! Hope someday, I can regain it.

No comments: