Monday, May 02, 2005

A Strange Dream

Yesterday night, I woke up with a start after having the strangest dream ever. And when I woke up, I was intrigued by the clarity of the dream and the details that I could remember... it had never occurred before in my life. So, here is what I saw.

I have gone to visit some place. Which city, I have no idea of. But, all of a sudden, I remember, I am in a temple. It's a very beautiful temple with lots of trees and lush lawns.

I go into the main temple. There is a very beautiful deity. But, I can't remember the deity of which God was placed in the temple. I kneel down to pray, when all of a sudden the Pujari(priest) comes running.

He asks me, "Take this Prasad".

I take it into my hands. Immediately, he says, "Pay Rs 50 for the Prasad!". I say, "Excuse me.." He says, "Pay Rs 50 for the Prasad."

I am totally angry now. I had never asked for the Prasad, and this guy come running, thrusts it into my hands, without giving me an option and demands so much money. So, I just say, "Sorry." And place the Prasad back into the plate.

The pujari is shocked by my actions. He pleads saying, "You can't reject Prasad like that! Surely, the wrath of God shall befall you!" I just shrug and say, "So be it." And walk away!

At this point, I even meet my father. How he came there and from where, I have no idea. He just says, "Well done son." And walks away.

What hit me the most was the details and dialogues that I could so clearly recollect. I remember the intense anger that I felt when the Pujari demanded the money. After all, he came like a silly street hawker. When I was about to kneel down, he came like a hawk and offered the "Prasad", without giving me an option of rejecting or without telling me, that it even cost some amount.

I also remember the sense of satisfaction that I had on rejecting the offer. I can't remember when I have taken such a harsh decision in life. Being very considerate of others, and God-fearing, I'd most probably have paid up. But, in the dream, I took the right stand. After all, the blessings of God should not be earned by such bribes. And money should be paid, only as a donation, not like some fees.

At the end, I did feel happy about the way I'd behaved. Maybe, in a few days, I'll understand what the dream was all about.

No comments: