Monday, May 02, 2005

Maturity - Why I hate it?

This week, the last of my original room-mates is flying to US. This will bring to an end the great saga of our house. Yet, I'll be the only relic left in the house!

When this thought hit me, I was totally shocked. For a few hours, my mind just went blank. I mean, every nook and cranny of the house was filled with so many pleasant memories. Now, the last of the people who was involved in those memories too was leaving. This marked an end to our bachelor life's first episode.

I told my Mom that I hated this partings. I complained to God. I asked him, "Why? Why is it that it is only our group that is getting split so badly?" Every time I managed to get adjusted to the shock of one person getting out, there was another one who would move on. Dad said, "This is the fact of life. This is what maturity is."

Hell! If maturity means parting from your best friends, if maturity means, giving up some of the best times of your life and maturity means getting more nostalgic, then I'd rather not be mature!

Why is it that best times in the life seems to pass so quickly? I feel it was just yesterday that I landed in Hyderabad to join Cognizant. And before I knew it, I had a gang of 6 members in our house and 3 girls in our inner circle of friends. Within the blink of the eye, two guys left the house, the girls quit one-by-one and the guys are now flying away to the US. And I am stuck here alone.

The house feels oppressive now! I feel like I am an outcast in the house now. The people in it seem all strangers. We stay together because we need to share the rent. Before, we used to share our lives.

I feel like I am the curator of a museum. Every time I look around, the mind starts recounting the good-old days. It starts saying, "Here is the bed where we used to trouble Prashant" or, "Here is the room where we all used to sit and crack jokes on weekends until dawn." Even the whole city seems to have become like a historical tour to me! "This is the theater we all used to come together". "Here is the hotel we've had so many great dinners."

Each of these memories seem so painful. Every one of it seems to mock at me. The time seems to say to me, "Look what's happened to you? You were a loner from birth and that is what you will be!" The very thought sends chill down my spine.

Yes, I was a loner from birth. But, I'd experienced what togetherness means after coming here. I'd understood what friends are and what do you mean by a Best Friend. Now, all of them are away. I am worried. I am worried that I may lapse into my old self. The loner. Hopefully it won't happen... Let's see what the future holds and how much *mature* I'll have to get to cope up with the harsh and heartless time!

No comments: